GOP Sen. Lindsey Graham told NBC on Tuesday that the Trump administration would not hesitate to obliterate North Korea to protect the United States. His comments were in response to Matt Lauer’s statement that every military expert believes that there is “no good military option.”
“They’re wrong,” the South Carolina senator said. “There is a military option to destroy North Korea’s program and North Korea itself. […] If there’s going to be a war to stop [Kim Jong-un], it will be over there. If thousands die, they’re going to die over there They’re not going to die here and [President Trump] told me that to my face,” he added.
Graham acknowledged that Mr. Trump’s comments may shock some people. However, he clarified that, although Mr. Trump did not want a conflict with Pyongyang, his loyalty lied with the American people.
“[…] that may be provocative, but not really. When you’re president of the United States, where does your allegiance lie? To the people of the United States. This man, Kim Jong-un, is threatening America with a nuclear-tip missile,” he told Lauer.
When asked if it was acceptable to use a military option that endangered the lives of millions of people, Graham insisted that the president did not have any choice.
“[…] it’s inevitable unless North Korea changes because you’re making our president pick between regional stability and homeland security. He’s having to make a choice that no president wants to make. You can stop North Korea militarily or diplomatically. I prefer the diplomatic approach. But they will not be allowed to have a missile to hit America with a nuclear weapon on top and to allow them to do that is really abandoning homeland security,” he stressed.
When asked to confirm whether military action was still a possibility, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders repeated on Tuesday that “all options” were on the table but she stressed that the Trump administration would not “broadcast” its plans.
North Korea successfully launched two ICBMs last month, the first one on Independence Day and the second one last Friday but experts cannot seem to agree whether Pyongyang’s intercontinental missiles could reach the lower 48.
Two weeks ago, General Paul Selva – the second highest-ranking U.S. military official – told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the rogue regime did not yet possess the technology to pose a threat to North America as Pyongyang did not have “the capacity to strike the United States with any degree of accuracy or reasonable confidence of success.”
However, a few days ago allthingsnuclear.org calculated that, had the missile been launched on a standard angle and in the direction of the U.S., it could have traveled a distance of 6,500 miles and would have had the range to hit several major cities.
The U.S. Air Force is expected to test launch an unarmed Minuteman-3 intercontinental ballistic missile on Wednesday morning PT from Vandenberg Air Force Base, 130 miles northwest of Los Angeles.Share